Tuesday, July 3, 2007

STEP ONE: OPERATIONAL STEP TWO: STILL PENDING

Speaking from experience, losing weight takes two things - diet and exercise.

Changing your diet is step one. Exercising is step two.

I think I've got step one to an operational state, but step two is still pending. There are several reasons for not having kicked my but into gear yet. They may sound like excuses (and probably are to some extent), but they're there.

The weather here in Las Vegas ain't exactly the same as San Diego. Today it was about 111 degrees. Tomorrow is supposed to be 112 or 113 degrees. Thursday may tie the record at McCarren airport for the highest temperature ever at 118 degrees. This is not conducive to exercise. Sure, there's a gym for all the residents of the apartment complex, but I'm not really one for indoor exercise or machines. Back in San Diego, I went running in the evenings and I got into trying to surf, and riding my bike all the time. This is one of those times I miss San Diego.

Even with the heat, I'm working on getting outdoors for some exercise that won't wreck my feet or cause other problems. Running would be a bit of an issue as my back starts giving me problems after a short time. Ditto on the rollerblades. I'm probably going to get my bike back in working order - just gotta get a good pair of bike shorts (also from experience) and a mount for my GPS receiver.

Swimming is probably the best exercise for people like me - no stress on the joints, no back issues, and no overheating! I may have found an aquatics center not too far away, but I need to do a bit more research on it.

I'm definitely going to keep up the proper diet and I'll be sure to post updates on the exercise front.

No comments: